I'm bummed! Really, I guess it's more frustrated with myself. Last week, I was excited because I thought I had only 6-7 more blocks to go to get to the halfway point with the quilt I'm making. Then on Saturday as I was starting the next to last block, I decided I probably should count to make sure I was where I thought I was. Well, I wasn't! I have completed 32 blocks, which I thought was half of the amount needed. Turns out I need 72 blocks (36 whirligig and 36 alternates) to make the quilt. That left me four blocks short to get to the halfway point. I have plenty of fabric in my stash, but I had used all of the like fabrics I had in the 32 blocks I already made. What to do? The only thing was to dig around in my stash for other bright fabrics and make more whirligig blocks. So that's what I'm doing. I found eight fabrics that were of the appropriate brightness and am now making six more whirligig blocks. Right now, I'm piecing the whirligigs. I hope to have that finished in the next day or two. Then I'll applique them to 10" squares and get them ready for quilting. It will take the rest of the week at least to get those six blocks ready.
I had hoped to have half of the blocks finished by this Thursday night's stitch night, but it's obvious now that that won't happen. Such is life. I decided to make a couple of extra blocks so I can scatter the six new blocks throughout the quilt. That way maybe it won't be too obvious that they are made with different fabrics than the other blocks.
When life gives you lemons, as the saying goes, make lemonade. I like lemonade and it gives me a chance to be creative and problem solve. Maybe a bit of frustration thrown in, but my experience is that when these kinds of "glitches" happen, the end result is even better than the original would have been. Sure hope that holds true this time!
Back to stitching....